CRACKLEBOX WORKSHOP – GET EXCITED!
“PRIMA DONNA IN A BOX / UN-BOXED”
Come and MAKE OR HACK your own CrackleBox on Friday 24th June 10-5pm with Daniel Schorno (composer/artistic advisor) and then stay on to enjoy the rest of BEAM! Book all tickets here
The Cracklebox is based on a vintage LM709 chip which is renown for its explosive unpredictability when ‘boxed’ in its classic form. Find ways to interact and extend the original electronics by means of light, sound or extended tactile control. Expert advice and guidance will be given on electronics, soldering skills and instrumental design. With your newly made cracklebox, join the MASSED ORCHESTRA on Sunday at 2pm to play alongside Leafcutter John, John Richards, Chikashi Miyama and many more of the BEAM artists.
Some suggestions of what you might bring along -
- - container for making a ‘shozyg’
- - piezoelectric guitar pickup
- - small / medium loudspeaker or piezo horn driver
- - anything that generates light, sound or noise based on a 9V (PP3) battery
or simply your natural curiosity for a sonic soldering adventure!
For more inspiration see:
- Oscar Ramos - “Alternative PCB for Cracklebox”
- Bertram Dhellemmes & DS – “Crackle Guitar project”
- Aniela Marie Perry / Calarts – “Modified version of STEIM Crackle-Box”
- EIG – “eponymous instruments group”
- Michel Waisvisz’ original page
- STEIM ”Studio for Electro-Instrumental Music”
- New Media Pocket Opera